Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Salute to Joy

My husband and I were recently on vacation in Florida. We went out to dinner one evening and among the primarily younger couples was a couple, probably in their
80's, sitting close to us. They had their heads bent toward each other conspiratorially, laughing and touching each other's arm occasionally, a glass of wine in front of each of their plates. I was totally captivated by the scene, both because of their age and their obvious enjoyment in each other. As they passed by our table on their way out, I told them that it was a delight to see them having such fun and they told us they were newlyweds - just been married 6 months! Her husband had died from a heart attack; he had lost 2 wives to cancer and one to a heart attack. When I told them we were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary, the gentleman said, "I can't imagine being married to the same woman for 40 years!" I don't know why I found it important to write about this, but I keep seeing in my mind's eye the joy that this couple expressed. I think we're meant to be joyful people, and I think experiencing joy in the presence of another is truly an experience of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment