Monday, August 30, 2010

Who Are Your Whos?

I recently read something interesting about Dr. Seuss. This may not be new information to many of you, but it was to me. His name was Dr. Theodor Geisel, and following WWII, he went to Japan as a correspondent for Life Magazine. While there, he came to have an appreciation and respect for the Japanese people and their culture, and developed quite a different attitude toward the Japanese than most in the United States at that time. In fact, he wanted to influence those American attitudes which he believed were wrong, and to this end, wrote Horton Hears a Who! In this children’s classic, Horton protects the small and vulnerable Whos of Whoville from the large, powerful animals in the forest, while repeating his refrain, “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” In a happily-ever-after ending, all of the animals come to love the teensy Whos and the forest becomes again a peaceful and pleasant place in which to live. I don’t remember reading this particular Dr. Seuss book to my children, but I did read it just last week in our session for those preparing to become Catholic! It fit right in as we discussed Catholic Social Teaching which is grounded in the respect and dignity of each human person, even our enemies. If I had grandchildren, I would read this book to them every chance I had. I would talk about the Whos and help them identify the Whos in their little lives. I would read it to them when they were 3 and when they were 4 and when they were 5. And when they were 8, I would ask them if they knew any Whos, and how they were treating those Whos. -And I would ask them again at 9 and 10 and 14 and 17. I would make a game of it until they so identified their Gram with respect for all humankind that it would be a life lesson that they would always carry, one that would continue teaching them long after my death. Catholic Social Teaching has much to give us; how much better to begin with the very young! For a complete description of the seven principles of Catholic Social Teaching, visit usccb.org, the website for our American bishops' conference.
THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF MY EMPLOYER.

1 comment: