Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I’ve had some time to read in the past few weeks and have found some interesting titles: The Help (Kathryn Stockett), Let the Great World Spin (Colum McCann), Push (Sapphire). All three books centered on the very different stories of their characters – black maids in the 60’s South, prostitutes, a religious social activist, a judge and his grieving Upper East Side society wife, a socially and sexually abused teen. I was so intrigued by the very different lives into which these stories invited me, by the personally foreign manifestations of God which I encountered. I began to wonder at how much lost opportunity there is in my life to know the living God more fully through people all about me – family, coworkers, neighbors, parishioners. If only there were comfortable places to share such intimacies without dis-ease. The dance of life continues all around us – God’s interaction with humankind. May I, may we, be so attuned to the presence of God in the story of other that we allow time and space for its unfolding.

No comments:

Post a Comment