Wednesday, March 10, 2010

An Authboigraphy in 5 Chapters

Those of you following the A-cycle readings on this upcoming scrutiny Sunday will hear the story of the man born blind whom Jesus cures. Richard Fragomeni connects this story to a 5-chapter autobiography going around the internet a few yearas ago. It goes like this:
Chapter 1: I walk down the street; there is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I'm lost, helpless. It's not my fault. It takes me forever to find my way out.
Chapter 2: I walk down the street; there is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I'm in the same place, but it isn't my fault. It still takes a long time to get out.
Chapter 3: I walk down the same street; there's a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I fall in anyway; it is a habit but my eyes are opened and I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.
Chapter 4: I walk down the same street; there's a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.
Chapter 5: I walk down a different street.
The good news of this gospel is that we can examine our lives and identify our blindnesses; we can choose to walk down a different street, one well-lit by the blinding light of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment