Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Still They Are Children

This past Saturday night's Easter Vigil saw eight people baptized in our church, 4 of them adults. As one of the catechists responsible for the formation of the adults, I thrilled as each plunged into the waters and emerged dripping wet and wearing the smiles of children on an amusement ride - totally focussed and not wanting the experience to end. I've been riding that high for the past few days, and thinking now about our responsibility as the particular community which received them into this vast Catholic Church. Where are those who preceded them in years past? Some of course are still on track, but others we don't see. Which is the missing piece in this story, the piece that holds the why of that reality? I don't want that to happen again; I want to hold tightly to these fragile new Catholics. And I realize that it is the responsibility of the community, the entire community, to make that happen. I want to bring these neophytes to meetings and gatherings and parish social events and thrust them in among us to be surrounded by friendship and support and a shared faith in the risen Christ. I want them carried until their wobbly Catholic legs can stand on their own and these precious new ones can extend welcoming smiles to our future neophytes. In other words, I want them present and visible forever! I implore you, Risen Lord, grace this community with the blessing of receiving our neophytes into full social as well as spiritual communion with us!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete